Thursday, February 10, 2011

U.N. Ambassador Hosts Town Hall Meeting on Twitter

Political officials use town hall meetings as a way of hearing what the public has to say. I have heard of town hall meetings that take place in person, or even on the phone. However, after reading US ambassador to UN hosts town hall at Twitter HQ I found out that some hold town hall meetings online. This definitely brings these long standing meetings into the twenty first century. Ambassador Susan Rice took questions via twitter from around the world. I think that this is a great tool for politicians and government officials to interact with a large group of people from a lot of different places. The Internet definitely makes things more convenient. She also discussed the fact that social media had an impact on the recent uprising in Egypt. Social media is a very powerful tool and I think that the popularity of it has definitely exceeded expectations.

You can find the article here:

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I enjoyed reading your article. I had no idea about any of this and it is good to know. I think hosting these events online they are able to get more feedback and viewers. It allows them to receive more information from the public and that they can only benefit from. I am not big on Twitter, I just haven't gotten into it, but after reading a lot of articles lately, it is a great way to keep up with what is going on in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sweet Dee,
    This was actually a pretty cool article. Putting town hall meeting on the internet is a great idea of upping the participation. Most people would choose to be a part of something like this from the comfort of their own homes. The twitter idea was a great way to hold an open forum and allow people to question the ambassador freely without having to sift through the people and try and get a chance to speak with her, in this format everyone gets a chance to ask a question and they don’t have to be standing right in front of the person to get their voice heard.

    ReplyDelete