Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Evolution of Media

I found The Evolution of Media to be a very interesting article. I of course knew that we didn’t just get the Internet out of nowhere. It has been a long process that has made communicating over long distances a whole lot easier. I really enjoyed learning about the history of the written word. I also learned what some of the computer “lingo” actually stands for. For instance, I thought that a modem was a word, however, after reading the article I learned that modem stands for modulator-demodulator.

One of the main points I would like to address is that fact that people use email now because it is so immediate. Our society has gotten very spoiled in the fact that we don’t have to wait for what we now call “snail mail.” I think that writing letters is a lost art. I wish that I did it more often. I too am guilty of using email because it is easier than phoning someone, talking in person, or writing a letter.

Another main point is that the “growth and acceptance of the Internet has greatly benefited email.” Email could have been another passing fad but instead it became a great tool that is tremendously useful for personal and professional use. Email is not without a downside though. We have all received countless spam emails that we would prefer to not get but I guess that is just one of the sacrifices we have to make. Just like the author, I too try to keep my email address limited to only people I know. I actually have two email addresses, one I use for my actual emailing and the other I use when required to give an email address but don’t want to give it out.

The last main point I would like to discuss is the fact that through history we have tried to make communication more accessible to the masses. It began with writing on stones then we moved to paper. The telegraph came next but that form of communication was limited to the few who could interpret. We have now found a way to communicate quickly and easily and most everyone has access to it. Email seems to be the easiest way for people to communicate the written word. It is quick, easy, and inexpensive. I think that society has come a long way in perfecting the written word. I am excited to see where we go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment