I really enjoyed reading Consequences of Online Social Networking Behavior. The authors chose interesting aspects to look into. I thought it was very interesting that the higher the users self-esteem the fewer social network friends they have. I didn’t understand this at first but after thinking about it, the user probably only has friends that he/she has met in person. There is nothing wrong with people “friending” strangers online but for the people with over one thousand friends, I think it is a little excessive.
Another interesting finding was that gender plays a role in the amount of social network friends a person has. I guess that makes sense because out of my friends, I only know of girls who are obsessed with Facebook. They are also the ones with the outrageous number of friends.
For me, I don’t like to friend people that I haven’t met. I will occasionally do it but not often. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule. There must be some guys out there who are constantly on Facebook, “friending” anyone they can find, but like I said, that is the exception.
I enjoyed reading your blog! I have become anti asking people to be my friend who I do not know or went to high school with and I know I will never talk to them because I didn't when I was in high school. It is almost entertaining when getting a new friend request. I recently had over 700 friends and I went through them all and deleted people I knew that I would never talk to, or people that I knew of but I didn't actually know them. I still find myself finding those same people asking to be my friend and I think it is just a little weird, and I don't know how they don't feel weird doing it. I'm sure you are able to relate to this as well, it is one of the weird and uncomfortable things about having a Facebook. I have to agree with what was said in the article about how a person who has more confidence has less Facebook friends and I feel it is probably because people who do not have a lot of confidence care a lot about what others think and what to do and see what everyone else is doing with their lives.
ReplyDeleteYour blog is great! Yeah I do agree how excessive it can be with people who have over 1,000 friends on facebook. I mean cmon.. how many of them do you really keep contact with? For example, right now I am at 976 friends. And honestly, I can say that I only keep contact with like 50 people. The rest, I added because I have met them once from a social event or have met briefly through a friend of mine. With that many friends, its really hard to keep up on the news feed especially when there are 1,000 friends each cramming 10-15 updates per day. I wouldn't have that time to really read through everyones comments. :P
ReplyDelete