Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Quality of Online Social Relationships

I found the findings from the article The Quality of Online Social Relationships very interesting. The findings were not surprising to me at all. The study looked at the closeness of relationships and how that related to communication habits. They examined three different modes of communication: face-to-face, phone, and email. Not surprisingly, the researchers discovered that face-to-face communication was used more with closer relationships. I found this very interesting because I totally agree with it. I love email because of its convenience, but when talking to people that I am close to, I prefer talking on the phone or in person.

I think the finding about how email is as good as talking on the telephone and in person for getting schoolwork done was very interesting. I completely agree. I think that email is a very useful tool for schoolwork. Email makes group work so much easier. Instead of always meeting with your group, you can just send a mass email to everyone in your group and the information only needs to be sent once.

Another important finding was that respondents didn’t feel as close to their Internet partner as they did to their non-Internet partner. This makes sense because when meeting with someone in person you have a whole other dimension of a relationship. People are able to see nonverbal communication and sometimes that can be more important than the words coming out of someone’s mouth.


2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I also agree with the article about face-to-face communication is used more with closer relationships because it’s more personal than e-mail but communicating by phone would better than e-mail. I have to agree that email is good for schoolwork because I don’t see my classmates outside of class and it’s good for online classes because we don’t have on campus meeting. You are right. We can just send a mass email to everyone in your group and the information only needs to be sent once. Once in while I think it’s good for groups to meet in person because you can see your group members face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and the author that face-to-face communication is the best way to go for close relationships. We are able to talk more and even share more details and reactions face-to-face. Smiley faces in emails can't compare with laughter in real life. I also agree that email is convenient especially for school work and group projects. It saves us the trouble of having to repeat ourselves multiple times. Also, it's convenient in case not every group member can attend a meeting. Email is helpful to get business done. At the same time, email is not so convenient when looking for a response. If you want an answer from someone or when to know their availability, calling them would be the best approach.

    ReplyDelete