I really enjoyed reading Be Who You Want to Be. I thought it was a very interesting article. I was one of those people who fought against joining Facebook for a very long time. My friend finally made one for me and I enjoyed looking at status updates and sharing photos but never became obsessed with it. Now, I probably go on Facebook once a month or so just to stay updated on what is going on in my friends’ lives.
I found it very interesting when the author talked about how our “Facebook identity is a choice, an object we choose to project.” I think that is absolutely true. We obviously want to be perceived as the best version of ourselves on Facebook. I also found what Tara Brabazon said to be very enlightening. She stated “the drip-drip-drip of micronews about ‘friends’ on Facebook is corroding our capacity to determine the important, relevant, and significant.” I think that is incredibly insightful. People post the most mundane information as status updates and people look at it as news. I don’t think people are confused about the difference of importance between “military build up in the
I have to agree that I too was someone that did not want to sign onto another networking account. I had a myspace account which I never checked. Then I made the switch over to Facebook. Though I am rarely on Facebook also, I do like to see what my friends and family are up to since I don’t see them often. However I don’t see the point in updating your status every day or almost hourly for that matter. It is definitely a choice in what we choose to put on our accounts. It seems that everyone I know is happy-go-lucky all the time, but I beg to differ. Of course why would we want people to see our un-happy side when we can choose to show only the contentment in our lives? Just a thought.
ReplyDelete