I found this article incredibly interesting. My grandmother has Alzheimer’s so memory loss is a common topic in my household. I find it very interesting that using Facebook can possibly stave off memory loss. I guess this makes sense because when you are stimulating your brain and keeping it engaged, it should work better. This article stated that in a study, the elderly people using Facebook demonstrated better cognition and were more on the ball.
Something that I found very interesting is that over 1.5 million seniors have a Facebook profile. I find this statistic very surprising. My grandfather can’t even input new numbers into his cell phone. With all of this new technology, I think it is great that people are finding ways to keep the elderly more engaged. I also think social networking sites are a great tool for the elderly to stay in touch with family members that may not live close. In any event, if the elderly are willing to try Facebook, and even gain something from it health wise, I think we should all encourage our grandparents to consider it.
If you would like to read the article you can find it here: http://www.allfacebook.com/facebook-helps-stave-off-memory-loss-in-elderly-2011-04
hey,
ReplyDeleteNice artical. I found it to be very interesting. I can definitly see how facebook could help the elderly. They can constantly be reminded of people, names, events and any information. Facebook offers a great sense of visuals that are great for memory. I know sometimes I find my self on facebookfor a very long time, almost too much. Yet if elders were to use it in the way I do I feel that would be great for them. Maybe another typeof site with the same concept would be a great idea.Nice post
-SOUTHPAW
Thanks for posting this one. This was a really great article to read. I honestly had no idea that so many elderly people where currently using Facebook. I was still in shock when I ran into my dad and stepmoms Facebook page a year ago. My best friend's grandfather has Alzheimer's as well and I have noticed that when he is alone for long periods of time he seems to forget a lot more than on days that he is conversing and spending time with his family and friends. I can understand how having a Facebook page would help with cognition. I know that there are also steps that you can take to make a computer very easy for an elderly person to use, and there are even simpliciTy computers that are designed for them as well. I like that there are these options out there because there are some people who may want to use Facebook or use email, but find the steps that some of call basic to be very challenging such as pulling up their internet browser or signing into an email account and opening their inbox.
ReplyDeleteHey there,
ReplyDeleteI also found this article to be quite fascinating and very resourceful. Who knew Facebook would be able to even help the elderly with memory loss? I think its a great idea and tool that through Facebook, elderly users are able to recall friends from the past,have blasts from the pasts through other fellow elder friends and they are able to recall memories they may not have been able to get back through other ways necessary. My grandma barely knows how to operate a computer because of her old age, she's almost 90 but I bet since she does have memory loss, if she had a Facebook, of her friends who are not deceased, maybe it would be able to help her recall impirtant memories of her life she no longer can remember.
Great ppost overall!
~little miss daisy