Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Blogging: self presentation and privacy

I enjoyed reading the article Blogging: self presentation and privacy. Privacy is something that I am always aware of when writing anything whether that is a blog post or simply an email. At a very young age, my mom told me to never write something down that I didn’t want around forever. With the Internet, even if you try to delete something, once it is out there, it may never truly be deleted.

This article talks about the issue of privacy while blogging. The article stated that there were three types of privacy: informational, accessibility, and expressive. I found expressive to be the most interesting because it talks about how when people know they don’t have any privacy they behave differently. They don’t share as much about themselves. While blogging, I fall into this privacy category. I try to provide personal details, however not too much. I am constantly thinking about who has access to what I am saying. Like one of the participants stated, it’s possible for employers to read what you write. We can relate this back to Facebook. When I was working on journal 4, I learned that some companies look at Facebook profiles when deciding on potential employees. With the Internet making everyone so accessible, it is important to always be aware of what you write down because you never know who is going to read it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sweet Dee, you make you some great points in your post. For me personally, blogging takes on a different meaning to me than I thought before. I just blogs were just outlets to waste time but now I find blogs relaxing and fun to do. Taking this class has really opened my eyes to blogging and how powerful a tool it can be. You talk about how expressive privacy is revolved around the awareness of the individual. I am very cautious about what I write on the internet becomes it may come back to haunt me. You can never be too careful. Just look at stories of hidden cameras taking down politicians and people with power. I rather play it safe but still be true to myself.

    ReplyDelete