Thursday, April 7, 2011

Personal Dynamic Media

I enjoyed reading Personal Dynamic Media. I thought a lot of the information was interesting. Something I really enjoyed is the fact that this article was written in 1977 yet some of the things they predicted actually came true. In fact, the picture of the mock-up or a future Dynabook looks a lot like the iPad. I also enjoyed reading about their expectations. They were excited about font changes, and what looks like paint shop. I remember using old computers when I was in elementary school, and they did minimal things. I think they had a couple games but not much.

I learned that computers have really come a long way in a relatively short period of time. It is hard for me to understand, just because my life has become so reliant on computers and the Internet, however, there was a time when things were not quite so easy. Lastly, Kay and Goldberg wrote that they were worried about the Dynabook collapsing under the weight of trying to be too many different tools for too many people. I found this amusing. Computers today do much more than what they wrote about. This article was written just over 30 years ago, it is hard to imagine what technology will become in the next 30 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment