Friday, March 11, 2011

The Technology and the Society

I enjoyed reading The Technology and the Society. I thought that it was a very interesting article. I think one of the main ideas is that television has altered our world. I think that is a true statement. Just think how much our lives revolve around TV. Most people watch TV to get entertainment and to find out information. Advertisers use TV to attract consumers and sports use TV to gain viewership and more fans. If you think about it, how often do you watch TV? I have at least one TV show a night that I “can’t miss”.

Another main idea is that “an increased awareness of mobility and change, not just as abstractions but as lived experiences, led to a major redefinition in practice and then in theory of the function and process of social communication.” This is so true. The article states “but in a period of great mobility, with new separations of families and with internal and external migrations, it became more centrally necessary as a form of maintaining, over distance and through time, certain personal connections.” If you think about Facebook that is exactly what it is used for. Facebook is used to share pictures, and information with people that you don’t see on a regular basis, or even with people you do. I know that I joined Facebook for this very reason, to share pictures and information with my friend who moved to Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment