I really enjoyed reading the Second Life article. I have heard of Second Life before on various TV shows like the Office and CSI: NY but didn’t really know a lot about it. This article really gave me a good idea about what Second Life was about. What caught my attention the most in this article is that it’s possible to buy body parts. I could not believe that. I also found it interesting that gender stereotypes are the same in Second Life as they are in real life. However, it seems that Second Life is much more sexually based than real life.
When thinking about Second Life, I would think that it would be easy to adapt. However, the article taught me that it took awhile to get adjusted. The authors talked about how they felt fearful about joining this new world. One even avoided having conversations with other avatars. All in all, it seems that Second Life is almost like real life on steroids. Stereotypes are everywhere, the avatars can teleport, and the whole environment is sexually charged. I think that if I were to join Second Life, it would be helpful to learn about it first so I am not caught completely off guard. This article was definitely helpful in providing some insight into Second Life.
No comments:
Post a Comment