Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Just Like Me Only Better

I thought the whole article Just Like Me Only Better, was very interesting. This kind of reminds me of when we were talking about how people represent themselves on Facebook. Of course people are going to create idealized versions of themselves. People go to Second Life to escape their real life so why shouldn’t they be able to be who they want. I thought it was interesting that this study focused on nationality and ethnicity and found that the Caucasian features were the most common. I could have guessed that women would make themselves more slender with larger breasts and more feminine features. It was also predictable that the men made themselves more muscular. I liked that the authors pointed out the one large black woman. I like that she stayed true to herself. She must really be secure with who she is. I think that this would be an interesting study to look into further. I feel that the information was limited and if more avatars/ people were observed, there would be some very interesting data.

1 comment:

  1. Hey,

    I also found this artical interesting. I agree with everything you say. People who go to second life may be going there only to create someone they wish they were. THe findings of very minial people with practicle body types is something I could have just guessed. So many people are not happy with who they are. People are always trying to do something to themselves to be something else. THey want slimmer bodies or six pack abs. Not many people can be happy with who they are. I think this needs to change on a personal level. Yet on the other hand I do feel people should have the freedom to create anything on the internet.

    -SOUTHPAW

    ReplyDelete